Friday, May 27, 2011

Morning Ramble

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! Can you believe it? It's finally ALMOST Memorial Day Weekend!! I'm not sure where you'll be, but where I'll be.... it's going to be SUNNY! I just looked at the weather and it's looking like a solid sunny 80 degree Oklahoma weekend. Which is perfect for all I have unplanned... :) 7 hours to go! :) We can do it.... and if you are off already - psh! but good for you... I hope you are LIVING IT UP! 

I actually had a very pleasant morning... I got up, got ready, and cruised on over to The Pearl Cup for a fancy Vanilla Chai Tea Latte. It's the very best I've ever had.... anywhere. If you come to Dallas or live here... go there and get it. Especially if you like Christmas candles that smell like vanilla and sugar cookies.... because thats what it tastes like, ha ha. New Friday tradition? I THINK SO! :)

So, moving right along. While I was doing my daily blog creep this morning, I came across Jason Mraz's blog. He is SO insightful. Back in high school, when I was overly obsessed with his music I would read his journals on his website everyday (Yes, I am that lame.) He is such an amazing, creative writer - you never want the posts to end. Ten years later, I am still reading his post and  today it's titled, Beginners Only. I have copied it below for you all to read and think about. I encourage you to keep up with his blog if you enjoy thoughts like these... he does not disappoint. Also, I hope you don't find this cheesy... because it really isn't meant to be. 

"A beginner’s mind is a brilliant place to come from. After all, beginners are granted permission to fail. In that sense, it’s not uncommon for beginners to have more fun.

I have the word beginner tattooed in cursive on my right arm. I almost wish it were tattooed across my face so I could remember to breathe when I feel like I don’t have it all together. Oh yea, I’m a beginner at writing 4th albums. I’m a beginner at intimate relationships!

I didn’t start surfing until I was 28. It was with a beginner’s mind that I excelled, not taking flopping around in the water as a sign of weakness. Instead, all that flopping made me more buoyant and a much better surfer.

I didn’t start playing guitar until I was 18. During those awkward college years I could’ve quit as other boys my age already had bands and tight jams. I knew as a beginner I had permission to suck and that eventually I’d rock. And now I do.

So remember this. We are all beginners. We haven’t done this before. You haven’t been you on this day before. I haven’t been someone’s solid rock before. I haven’t been me at 33 before. Each day is new and we’re all allowed to fall down as often as we need to. It is through these mistakes and fumbles that we’ll likely get it right next time."

- jason mraz

That being said, remember that you owe it to yourself to give yourself a break every once in a while. I mean... sometimes I sit here and think, "What am I doing?" and "Why don't I know what kind of career I want?" and "Why am I not just going after the one I want?" You know... everyone has their life questions they think about on a daily basis.... whether its about a career, friendship, relationships, motherhood, fatherhood, husbandhood, wifehood, grandparenthood,childhood, etc. Sometimes those feelings are overwhelming and scary, but then you have to remind yourself that your 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, etc years young and you don't have to know those answers all the time. You will go through ruts... and life will bring new things everyday and things will change - but I think we all have to sort of realize that those feelings aren't just yours - they are universal.  People go through the same type of things and have the same type of worries as you... and that is comfort in itself, right? Personally, I think it's exciting.... and somedays there will only be one moment to breathe... when you first wake up, when you are driving, when you cook, when your having dinner, a glass of wine, or when you finally lay down to sleep.... but I think if you remind yourself that you'll eventually get the hang of something.... those moments, days, months, even years of uncertainty and beginnings will all make sense someday. Eventually.... :) 

Okay, enough of that ramble... I ramble too much sometimes. SO. I hope everyone's Friday's go pleasantly. I will hopefully concoct a non-soap box post later in the day... I have some ideas. :)


K, LATER! hb.






No comments:

Post a Comment